Aurora Necklace in Navy
This elegant necklace features a center button we discovered at a closing sale of the Worthmore Five and Dime in Rayne, Louisiana. The buttons were still attached to their original cards with a nostalgic price tag of ten cents. They are some of the most exquisite West German glass buttons we’ve ever found.
The button in the center of this necklace features an Art Moderne sunrise depicted in a navy glass with a coppery gold luster. It’s bracketed by two vintage navy and Goldfluss glass ovals.
Goldstone glass, or Goldfluss in German, was invented by the Venetians in the seventeenth century and perfected by twentieth-century Czech and German glass artisans. Sadly, this trade is uncommon today and goldstone glass is, therefore, becoming harder and harder to find.
In this piece:
- Navy glass button with coppery-gold sunburst, made in Western Germany circa 1950 and sold under the brand name Exquisit
- Two navy and Goldfuss glass ovals made in mid-century Western Germany
- Three brass-plated pewter settings made in the USA
- Two stamped brass pronged settings made in vintage dies in the USA
- Brass chain with navy enamel
- Length is 16” with 4” extender
Shop the collection: Necklaces
Read Surprise Five and Dime Button Find on our Buttonology Blog.