Carved Bee Necklace - Insects
We found one of the honeybee buttons featured in this necklace a few months ago, then to our amazement, more recently discovered a matching one in an unrelated collection. Now that’s a happy bumblebee coincidence.
We think these sweet bees are extra special because they were carved from a single piece of multi-color pearl. The bee was chiseled from the top darker layer and the edges were removed to reveal the white pearl underneath.
Of all the marvelous varieties of antique Victorian buttons, carved pearls might be our favorite. Antique metal buttons were stamped, glass ones were molded, while pictorial pearl buttons were hand-carved by skilled artisans.
In this piece:
- Antique sew-through ocean pearl button carved with a bee, circa 1880-90
- Tiny carved mother-of-pearl button with cut steel center, circa 1889-90
- Silver-plated pewter setting cast in the USA
- Silver-plated brass chain
- Can be worn with chains doubled at 17”, or long at 34”
Shop the collection: Limited Edition