Crane With Bamboo Necklace - Birds
Many antique buttons portraying cranes have a Japanese style, including the small, finely detailed antique brass button featured on this necklace. It depicts a crane, bamboo, and a patterned wall accented with sparkling cut steel. We love how the warmth of the brass complements the iciness of the cut steel.
This button was inspired by the Aesthetic Movement which flourished in Britain between 1870 and 1890 in both fine arts and applied arts and crafts like button painting. Aesthetic artists championed pure beauty and “art for art’s sake” and rebelled against fussy, detailed, and curvaceous Victorian designs in favor of simplified linear forms.
We think the small antique button ideally complements the lustrous greys and browns in the large ocean pearl button hanging below it.
In this piece:
- Small antique brass and cut steel button with crane, circa 1880-90
- Large carved ocean pearl sew-through button set with cut steel, circa 1900
- Small tinted brass and cut steel button, circa 1880-90
- Two brass-plated pewter settings made in the USA
- Hand-wrapped pyrite bead chain
- Antiqued brass bar chain
- Can be worn long at 32” or short at 16” when doubled and fastened at the ring with the lobster claw clasp
Browse the collection: Limited Editions