Proud Pigeon Necklace - Birds
The brilliantly-colored glass pigeon button featured in this necklace is made today in the Czech Republic with century-old processes. We aptly paired it with a small antique brass button depicting two sitting pigeons.
Today it’s hard to imagine celebrating pigeons in a fashion accessory. However, in the Victorian era, pigeons were popular and beloved pets, and keeping “fancy pigeons” was a common pastime among the middle and upper classes.
By the early 1900s, pigeons could be purchased in London for as little as ten pence, and so they became popular pets for the working classes as well.
In fact, the sometimes overly plentiful pigeons in today’s urban parks are descendants of the domesticated pigeons Victorians kept as pets.
A magnetic sliding clasp enables this necklace to be worn at any length, from a 15” choker to 32” pendant.
In this piece:
- Large glass button with gilded rim and illustration of a pigeon, handmade in the Czech Republic
- Small antique brass button with two pigeons, circa 1880-90
- Large and small brass-plated pewter settings, made in the USA
- Two styles of brass chain
- Hand-wrapped amazonite beads
- Antiqued brass chain adjusts via a sliding magnetic clasp from a 15″ choker to 32” long pendant
Browse the collection: Limited Editions